South African Business – Are you prepared for the Labour Law Amendments Bill?
Whilst we wait for a confirmed implementation date, it would be to your advantage to update your policies and engage your staff.
The LLA Bill provides for parental leave, adoption leave and commissioning parental leave. It further provides for the payment of parental benefits as well as commissioning parental benefits from the Unemployment Insurance Fund. It enables a prospective adoptive parent to access the adoption leave and adoption benefits, which are paid out by the Unemployment Insurance Fund. The LLA Bill was passed by the National Assembly and sent for concurrence to the National Council of Provinces.
Whilst the impact may appear simplistic, keep in mind how your current leave is treated and be cautious not to practice unfair implementation. For instance;
- Should you currently provide for paid maternity, it would be wise to provide for paid parental leave.
- Do you know what ten consecutive days means? Is this working day only?
- Which parent is entitled to Adoption or Commissioning parental leave and how is this decided?
- Is parental leave gender based?
- If there is a surrogacy agreement, who is entitled to what leave?
I encourage policy writers to download and review the full PDF. Should you require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.